Château Saint-pierre de mejans
The estate
history
The first mention of the priory of Saint-Pierre de Mejans dates back to 1118, when it became part of the possessions of the Abbey of Saint André de Villeneuve-lès-Avignon, confirmed by Pope Gelasius II.
The archbishop of Aix spent two nights there in January 1343 and, on visiting the church, ordered the prior to knock down the partition that had been erected and to move the wine barrels stored there elsewhere.
After the French Revolution, Saint-Pierre de Mejans was seized as national property, then sold and converted into a silkworm farm, while retaining its farming and wine-making activities.
The priory is one of the region's landmarks, with its Romanesque chapel, two bays of which were lost following the earthquake of 11 June 1909, its inner courtyard and vaulted rooms built of Rognes stone.


